Reading Time: 4 minutes 🙂
The one thing that parents of typical kids only and that non-parents don’t understand is how difficult special needs parenting is. Especially when it comes to caring and raising kids (and adult children as many do not leave home, ever) with complex special needs, is that parents are dealing with the regular load of parenting as it is. Special needs parenting increases that load even more.
That is because parents and caregivers of kids with special needs are having to overexert themselves all of the time. They are either battling with medical professionals, schools, therapists and are facing a lot of unfair judgment from others. They rarely get a good night’s sleep because their kids are up in the night for one reason or another quite often. They are also dealing with the emotional toll that special needs parenting takes on them which includes grieving over the fact that the dreams they had for their kids are gone. That is just a little of what the average special needs parent goes through.
Additionally, caregivers such as grandparents or aunts or uncles of the special needs child that has taken on the responsibility are stressed as well. This is why those who are close to the parents and caregivers of special needs children must acknowledge how much they do, and that their efforts are seen. The best way to do this is to give them gifts that will show them that you see them, appreciate them, and understand they need time away from special needs caregiving and parenting.
Safe Sleep Systems is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no additional cost to you. Learn more
Gift ideas such as arranging respite or babysitting for several weekends in a month is a great one. Ordering a cleaning service for their homes is another great gift. However, let’s now go over the specific gifts that would mean a lot for parents and caregivers of children (and adult children) with complex special needs:
Spa Luxetique Bath Spa Gift Set
Moms and caregivers need to give themselves the gift of self-care but they also will not do it because they don’t have the energy to look for ways to do so. Additionally, they don’t have the time. Why not surprise them with this Spa Luxetique luxury spa bath set? It has calming essential oils as well as bath bombs that will help put them to a state of relaxation, something that special needs parents and caregivers need the most. And since these parents and caregivers are so busy with creating schedules for their kids, gently suggest to them they need to add something in for themselves. That is taking a bath by using the products in this bath spa gift set!
- 10pc Spa Gift Basket - Our spa gift basket is formulated with natural ingredients, that moisturize and refresh the body, and revitalize the mind and spirit. Nourishing ingredients such as Sunflower Seed Oil, Vitamin E and Rose Essential Oils that helps to nourish the skin and lock in moisture. And our fragrant and delightful assortment of luxury spa products will be sure to please you or a loved one.
- Sensual Rose Essential Oils - Inspired by the rose gardens in the English countryside, this beautiful rose scent is floral, romantic, fragrant and long-lasting. It also helps us relaxe and rejuvenate ourselves and calms the mind and body after bathing.
- Home Bath Spa Gift Set - Luxury at-home spa kit contains: 2 Bath Bombs, Hand Soap, Hand Cream, Shower Gel, Body Lotion, Body Butter, Bubble Bath, Bath Salt, Bath Puff & Handmade Tote Bag.
Visa Gift Card
A Visa gift card may sound like a gift that is not original or exciting. However, for a special needs parent or caregiver, it would mean the world. They are having to incur a lot of driving expenses while taking their kids to therapy and doctor’s appointments. And the fact that they spend a lot of money on therapy as it is does not give them much financial wiggle room.
This gift card would help take the financial strain that these parents and caregivers feel. This particular one is worth $50 and if you are feeling extra generous, you can get several sets of these gift cards. They will appreciate this gift!
- This card is non-reloadable. No expiration of funds. No cash or ATM access. Cards are shipped ready to use.
- This card can be used in the U.S. only, online or in stores, where Visa debit cards are accepted. Your Amazon.com Balance cannot be used to purchase Visa gift cards.
- A one-time $4.95 purchase fee applies at the time of purchase. No fees after purchase (including dormancy, service or other fees).
Sensual Massage Oil
Another way to help these overly stressed-out parents and caregivers to relax is by getting them this massage oil that is infused with lavender, jojoba, and almond oil which can help promote relaxation. This can be used for men and women, and this massage oil is also hypoallergenic.
The fact of the matter is that since these parents and caregivers are very stressed, they have many knots in their muscles and their physical health is suffering. This massage oil can be applied to necks, backs, and other parts of the body to help remove those knots. The relief that is felt after is amazing.
- Full Body Massage Oil - Whether you want a Back massage Neck massage or Foot massage oil you can reap the benefits of our pure massage therapy formula with aromatherapy oils for sensitive skin
- Lavender Oil for Skin - Our muscle massage oils for massage therapy are made with lavender aromatherapy essential oil for beauty and skin care making our lavender body oil massage formula so nice
- Moisturizing Body Oil - Try our almond massage oil lavender formula with pure jojoba oil for skin care that works wonders as a couples massage oil for men and women to enjoy together or alone
Darden Restaurants Email Delivery
Why not give special needs parents and caregivers extra respite and relief by sparing them having to cook a meal while they are already exhausted? This Darden Restaurants email delivery gift card will give them the chance to enjoy takeout from any restaurants owned by Darden without them having to spend for it. US residents only.
Coffee Subscription Box
Coffee is a drink that is loved by moms in general, and are even more so loved by special needs parents and caregivers. That is because coffee gives them the energy to tackle the day. And by getting them this coffee subscription box that provides different types of coffee flavors, this saves them the trouble with having to go out and shop for coffee. In other words, this gift saves them from having to run another errand. They will most definitely appreciate this.
- BEAN BOX SAMPLER GIFT SUBSCRIPTION: Every month Bean Box handpicks 4 gourmet coffees from Seattle’s top small-batch roasters. Experience a wide variety of single origin coffees and artfully-crafted blends. Every Bean Box includes nearly a half pound of freshly-roasted whole bean coffee, tasting notes, roaster profiles, brewing tips, and an artisan treat with free shipping.
- GUARANTEED FRESHNESS: Every coffee we ship is roasted to your order. This mean your cup is always filled with rich, delicious flavor. Many of our customers can’t believe how great freshly-roasted coffee tastes. You don’t have to travel to Seattle. We’ll bring a gourmet coffee experience to the comfort of your kitchen.
- SUPPORTING LOCAL ROASTERS: Buying a Bean Box supports a community of local artisan roasters. We work exclusively with 23 of Seattle’s top-rated, award-winning, small batch-roasters, including: Kuma, Herkimer, Ladro, Slate, Bluebeard, True North, Velton, Broadcast, Conduit, Lighthouse, Middle Fork, Seattle Coffee Works, Zoka, and more. You can taste their focus on farm-to-cup sourcing and hand roasting in every cup.
The Self Confidence Workbook: A Guide to Overcoming Self-Doubt and Improving Self-Esteem
This is a great gift for special needs mothers and fathers as special needs parenting can easily diminish self-confidence and self-esteem in parents. This book was written by a licensed psychologist, Dr. Barbara Markway, and writer Celia Ampel and is loaded with tips on how to overcome feelings of self-doubt. The tips provided in this book will help people face anything they are dealing with in life. And this is why this type of book is ideal for parents and caregivers of children and adult children of special needs.
- Markway PhD, Barbara (Author)
- English (Publication Language)
- 178 Pages - 10/23/2018 (Publication Date) - Althea Press (Publisher)
Those are the most ideal 6 gifts other than providing babysitting or paying for a cleaning service. If you notice one thing about these gifts, it does not contain anything that specifically has to do with their kids. The one thing that also stresses parents and caregivers of kids with special needs is the fact that they had lost their identities because caregiving has taken up their time and energy. The fact that these gifts also show that they are ordinary people with feelings, and who needs a break will also be well-received.