Weighted blankets are exactly how they sound – heavier blankets that weigh more because they contain plastic pellets or beads. They are very beneficial for people who struggle to fall asleep due to anxiety and stress, or for those who wake up several times during the night for the same reasons.
The deep pressure of the blanket has a calming effect, giving you the impression of a warm hug during the night. The weight in the quilt can also come from glass beads, plastic pellets, rice, or lead – avoid the last option, though, as it is not the right choice for your health. Keep reading to find out more about the benefits of using weighted blankets.
Safe Sleep Systems is supported by its audience. When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission, at no additional cost to you. Learn more
- 1 Why We Like Sensory Weighted Blankets
- 2 Review of the Roore Weighted Blanket for Kids
- 3 Roore Weighted Blanket Vs. The Harkla Weighted Blanket
- 4 Final Thoughts
Why We Like Sensory Weighted Blankets
As you might guess, weighted blankets help diverse groups of people, both adults and children alike. People with sensory processing issues can benefit from gentle and calming pressure. Parents, caregivers, and kids will tell you that weighted blankets (almost!) feel like a hug.
Here are the top reasons why we recommend weighted blankets for children with autism, and why we think you will too.
If your child has issues going to sleep, wakes up several times per night, or usually kicks off their blanket and is freezing by morning, this is where the weighted blanket comes in. It is heavier than a typical coverage, making it more difficult to move too much during sleep, which is what usually disturbs the process. Additionally, the dense filling of the blanket also makes it more challenging to kick it off during sleep.
The blanket also reduces the child’s stress due to its calming effects. Many studies showed that children with Autism Spectrum Disorder benefit from these weighted blankets, which makes them a preferred instrument for numerous occupational therapists (OTs).
Since sleep issues and stress are common for children with autism, weighted blankets can give them relief and a feeling of comfort. The weight feels as if you are being hugged at all times – enhancing feelings of security and inducing relaxation before sleep.
Provides relief and keeps your child covered all night
Health is not only crucial for the body but also the mind. If your child faces stress or insomnia or has trouble with getting a full night’s sleep, a weighted blanket will be a healthy alternative to medications. Many people choose this option, children and adults alike, due to this main benefit – improved sleep patterns without the help of extra medicine.
Some studies suggest that the use of the blanket stimulates the creation of melatonin and serotonin, two critical components of a calming and soothing feeling. ADHD patients and patients with autism can benefit from the weighted blanket; it eliminates restlessness and impulsivity when going to sleep. They create a warm and protective environment, so your child feels safe.
|Young Adult||125-175lbs |
Decreases Nervous System Activity
Studies have been done on weighted blankets and their impact on the body. The blankets exercise what is known as deep-touch pressure through their composition, which is often made up of glass beads or plastic pellets, but also rice and even lead (not recommended!). This extra weight from the composition inflicts deep touch pressure, which was proven to reduce nervous system activity overnight.
Reasons to Buy This Blanket
So, all in all, weighted blankets are great for children with autism who tend to be stressed and suffer from anxiety. They are low cost, low risk, and if you find success, then the benefits are incredible. Whether you have a baby, a toddler, or a child, they can each benefit from a weighted blanket. It is primarily a great item to buy if your child usually fights bedtime, and it is difficult to put the child to sleep. Combining a weighted blanket with an autism-friendly bed tent is the ideal option.
A 2014 study found little improvements to sleep when testing weighted blankets. However, it’s fair to note that there hasn’t been a great deal of scientific evidence behind this, and also it would be rather difficult to test given the complexities and uniqueness of children with autism. A smaller study on eight young people did show positive results.
Most parents confront challenges when bedtime is around the corner – children running around from one room to another, refusing to go to sleep, waking up several times per night, or even having nightmares. The parents tested the weighted blanket, and the results are astonishing.
It will allow you and your child to enjoy a better and healthier sleep pattern, and, with a bit of luck, this weighted blanket will be the reason your child with autism will start loving bedtime – the warmth and softness of the blanket will recreate the feeling of a warm hug, making them feel safer and soothing their anxiety and stress.
What is significant is that this blanket can be an excellent addition in your life – not only for sleep, but kids might even ask for it when they get overstimulated. The calming and soothing effects of the blanket can provide your child with calmness, and all of these benefits are supported by the throw, eliminating the need for drugs and medication.
Check out the next section for our top recommendation – the Roore Weighted Blanket for Kids.
Review of the Roore Weighted Blanket for Kids
This weighted blanket has a dual build, allowing you to have both a cover and a blanket. Also, the cover is removable, which makes it easier to wash. Also, the top feature of this blanket is the integration of the premium heavy glass beads, which are evenly distributed and compartmentalized. This makes the child’s body relax, while also soothing their mind and easing their transition to sleep.
The Roore Weighted Blanket allows for prolonged use and has enhanced benefits due to the state-of-the-art quality of the product. It is hypo-allergenic, non-toxic, and has no odors, making it an excellent choice for using this high-quality blanket daily. This product is ideal for autistic children, as it mimics the warmth of a hug, encouraging them to fall asleep quicker and have a better sleep throughout the night.
- 💤This weighted blanket is engineered to be 8% to 12% of your body weight. This 10 lb 41”x 60” blanket is perfect for children between 80 to 125 lb. Do not use for children under 5 years old.
- 😴Get even more value for your buck as this blanket comes with both the inner blanket and a outer dotted minkey duvet cover with a concealed zipper that can be fastened with corner ties to prevent any slipping.
- 🛌With the two part construction, you dollars will go further as there is no need to wash the entire blanket. By simply removing the cover and washing the duvet cover, your blanket will be less prone to wear from rigorous washing cycles.
Safe Sleep System’s Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐
What we like ✅
- Non-toxic, odorless, and high-quality
- Soft and silky touch
- Improvements in sleep quality
- Calming and relaxing effect
Things to improve ❌
- Only cover is washable
- The cover is not waterproof – not suitable for bedwetters
- Can make some noise when moving due to the glass beads
Roore Weighted Blanket Vs. The Harkla Weighted Blanket
What we like ✅
- Same benefits as the Roore weighted blanket
- Made with softer beads for a more comfortable feel
- Comes with a 100% lifetime moneyback guarantee
Things to improve ❌
The cover is not waterproof – not suitable for bedwetters
Safe Sleep System’s Rating: ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
- HELP YOUR CHILD GET A GOOD NIGHT’S SLEEP: Are you struggling to get your child to relax or fall asleep? Harkla has designed the best weighted blanket for kids to help your child feel calm and get restful, natural sleep. New & improved with stitching all the way through provides an even weighted feel with this cool weighted blanket.
- A SENSE OF CALM FOR YOUR CHILD: Weighted blankets for children help naturally calm the body. The soft minky fabric is also a great input. We’ve even added dots on top so the kids weighted blanket provides extra input. Our weighted kids blanket is great situations like the classroom or car rides.
- EASY TO WASH & DRY: With our 2-piece duvet style removable cover, our cooling weighted blanket for kids makes it easy to remove the top layer to wash & dry at home. Weighted blanket soft through washing.
Overall, weighted blankets can be a parent’s best friend when struggling with anxiety and stress in their children, overactivity when bedtime comes around, or if your little one suffers from nightmares and disrupted sleep patterns.